Well we have been through a rough one. But it seems most have forgotten the basics when you know a storm is coming. Businesses that rely on vehicles to get the job done like landscapers and plumbers electrician’s,carpenters, and para-transit and school bus companies, basically the entire service industry should have a plan. That plan should include maybe a 55 gallon of Gas stashed for each vehicle encase of power failure like which happened.
You guys want to be able to get out and help start with repairs to neighbors and businesses that might have been hurt. To get to the shut ins and those stranded with no transport in a wheelchair and move them to safety. Some of it is common sense and some of it is just plain old figuring it out from previous situations over the years. Maybe in some of your life times this has not happened, but I am sure most have had some type issue from a storm.
Here is what I would suggest for most if possible.
- filled 55 gallon drums stored with emergency gas or diesel per vehicle used if big power failure.
- another for any gas-powered tools used in your business.
- top off all vehicles prior to storm hitting.(maybe park 1 or 2 to use when others run low so you can continue to work. it would be at half strength but at least you are working.)
- have generators on had for keeping all power tools charged and or so that you can use electric tools as well.
- get you business on a list of emergency response companies if your town or city has one so that you can be first to help and maybe get the job later from the insurance company for final repairs.
- set aside a cash amount that would help you be able to get supplies without any hassles. maybe stock up on a few things that might be needed like leaf bags and plywood for covering windows. what ever you do you know what you might need have some stocked piled just for emergencies.
- make sure you keep some personnel at the office or in one place where they can get out if needed.
- Most importantly use your common since you know your business figure it out get ready if you were caught this time make sure it never happens again if you can.
I guess after seeing a lot things this weekend it would help for all of us to pay better attention to the reports and not dismiss them. So take notice that we have another storm coming this week that could inflict more damge and send everything that has been fixed back to being unfixed. Get things sorted out now because Wednesday may be too late.